Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ten down, 20 to go

Seems like a long time.

I spent $16 yesterday on non-grocery supplies: toilet paper, paper towels etc. I resisted the urge to pick up some other things while I was at the store.

I'm feeling a bit like Old Mother Hubbard. Really need to go grocery shopping. The reason I haven't has nothing to do with 30 Days of Nothing. It has to do with waiting for a paycheck. Now, technically we have enough money to go shopping now. But I really had in my mind that we could hold out until pay day (Thursday).

And we can. It's just that we can't have our first choice in food. There's food there, but it's not what I feel like eating. The girls cannot understand why there are no fruit snacks in the house. Or crackers. Or Cheerios.

There are apples and grapes and carrots. Oatmeal, eggs, and bread. It's just not what they want at that moment.

I think this is a good lesson for our family. Imagine the pioneer families who ate turnips and potatoes for weeks on end because that's all they had. Or families right now in other countries who eat rice everyday because that's what's there. My kids are so used to multiple choices that even though they're not the slightest bit deprived, they feel like something is terribly wrong.

Hmmm

No comments: